WorkZone West is the first office building in Western Australia to achieve a 6-Star NABERS Energy Rating without greenpower. This impressive result is based on several years of fine-tuning, energy saving activities and ongoing performance monitoring.
ABOUT THE BUILDING
WorkZone West is an A-grade office building, built in 2013. It comprises seven-levels of modern office providing 15,602 sqm of NLA located on a large 5,688 sqm site.
The building encompasses many best practice environmental design features achieving a 5.0 Green Star design rating.
Since taking over management 2018, the team from Knight Frank have worked with HFM and other partners to fine-tune existing systems and implement new energy saving equipment.
As part of HFM’s monthly Yardstick Reports, our engineers have been tracking NABERS performance through monitoring of energy and water consumption as well as rated area and hours for several years and have provided multiple recommendations to continuously improve the building’s performance.
Elanor Investors have been very proactive, implementing these recommendations and continuously working to improve the efficiency of this site. Click here for more information regarding the
measures implemented at Workzone West.
- Central plant mechanical upgrade (chiller plant, ancillary plant, boilers)
- A fundamental design and operational shift from a constant volume central AHU system to a floor by floor variable control capability (retrofits to floor by floor dampers, controls, new internal zone VAV’s and diffusion, upgraded control and dampers to perimeter induction units).
- Upgraded the mechanical Building Management System (BMS) and access control system concurrently.
Over the past 6 years, HFM has provided various services for this building, including:
- Yardstick Reports
- NABERS & BEEC Ratings
- Capacity Charge Offset
- Sewerage Discharge Factor Appeal
- Gas Procurement
- Workzone West now uses almost 3 times less electricity than an average Perth office building (based on the current average NABERS base building energy rating in WA of 4.4-Stars).
- The building successfully achieved a 6-Star NABERS Base Building Energy Rating in August 2021, becoming the first building in WA to achieve this result without GreenPower.
Note: As per NABERS official website: “GreenPower is not accounted for in the NABERS Energy rating that is used for a BEEC. GreenPower has a positive environmental impact, but it’s not an energy efficiency action”.
This result was possible thanks to the combined efforts of various companies who were involved and committed to the common goal of achieving 6-star NABERS Rating at Workzone West:
- Knight Frank: Facility Management
- Greenstar: Mechanical Services
- Infra-Red Services: Electrical Services
- HFM: Energy Management & NABERS